from The Stork Cookery Service Book The Art of Home Cooking 1960’s Edition
This became a family favorite for an 8” cake
serve as is or decorate as a seasonal or celebratory cake.
- 8oz (2 cups) Plain (All Purpose) Flour
- 1½ level teaspoons (5ml) baking powder
- or 8oz (2 cups) Self Raising Flour and omit the baking powder
- 6ozs (¾ cup, 1½ sticks) Stork Margarine/Butter
- 6ozs (¾ cup) White Sugar
- 3 Eggs (approximately 6 fluid ounces/¾ cup)
- 2 tablespoons (15ml) Milk
- 6ozs (1⅛ cup) Sultanas (Golden Raisins)
- 2ozs Glace Cherries (washed and halved)
Method: Pre heat oven 325ºF, line an 8” (6 cup) cake tin (pan) (or similar oven safe dish).
Sieve the flour and baking powder together.
Cream the Stork and sugar together in a mixing bowl until light and fluffy.
Beat in the eggs one at a time adding a little of the sieved flour with every egg after the first.
Fold/Stir in the remaining flour and baking powder, then the milk, raisins and cherries.
Put in the prepared cake tin, smooth the top. Bake for 1¾ to 2 hours.
Test before removing from the oven. Leave in the tin for 2 to 3 minutes. Turn out, remove paper and cool on a wire tray.
- One Third of the Ingredients: Makes a 6” cake. Bake at 325ºF for 25 to 30 minutes.
- 2⅔oz (⅔ cups) Plain Flour
- ⅓ level teaspoons (5ml) baking powder
- or 2⅔oz (⅔ cups) Self Raising Flour and omit the baking powder
- 2ozs (¼ cup, ½ stick) Stork Margarine/Butter
- 2ozs (¼ cup) Castor Sugar
- 1 Egg (approximately 2 fluid ounces/¾¼ cup)
- 2 teaspoons Milk
- 2ozs (⅜ cup) Sultanas (Golden Raisins)
- ⅔oz Glace Cherries (washed and halved)