Arctic Blast Mitts – This design is for personal, non-commercial use only. If you wish to share the pattern please don’t distribute, instead, direct people to my site, or to Ravelry, so they can acquire their own copy. Thank you! Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Click here for the Original Pattern by Star Athena.
My Customized Arctic Mitts
These have become my COVID19 shopping mitts replacing the blue plastic gloves but still protecting my hands from touching any cleaning/sanitizing chemical surfaces that I have a reaction to.
I liked the ones I made for our Granddaughter’s Wedding in DK yarn so I decided to make another pair in Worsted Weight yarn. I customized the fit with a slightly a shorter arm, a longer thumb gusset and my favorite short row shaping before binding off.
Materials: 1ball (3.5ozs) I Love This Cotton Yarn (100% Cotton) Cat 4 Worsted Weight yarn. A set of dpn’s in sizes US6/4mm, plus US7/4.5mm for cast on and US5/3.75mm for wrist shaping. Darning needle, stitch holder, and stitch markers.
Gauge: 20sts/24 rows=4” in st. st. or size to get gauge.
- Start Mitts Cuff: CO 36sts using a USI/5.5mm crochet hook then transfer to size US7/4.5mm dpn’s and divide evenly between 3 needles (or your method of choice). Join to begin working in the round, being careful not to twist stitches when joining. Place a marker after the first 18sts and one to indicate the beginning of the round.
- Rnds 1-5: (P1, k2) repeat to end
- Rnd 6: Rib 18sts (P1, k2, p1, yo, k2tog) repeat to end
- Rnds 7-8: (P1, k2) repeat to end
- Start Lace: Work first 18sts for Palm in Rib, work remaining 18sts in Lace for back. Reverse for second mitt.
- R1(RS): Rib 18sts, (P1, K1, K2tog, YO, K2) repeat to end
- R2: Rib 18sts, (P1, K5) repeat to end
- R3: Rib 18sts, (P1, K2tog, YO, K1, YO, SSK) repeat to end
- R4 & 5: Rib 18sts, (P1, K5) repeat to end.
- Continue with US7/4.5mm needles for 1 Lace repeat, Change to US6/4mm needles for next 2 Lace repeats, Change to US5/3.75mm for next 2 Lace repeats (for wrist).
- Start Thumb Gusset Shaping: Change to US6/4mm needles and continue to work the Arrowhead & Rib as established and make increases for the thumb. The thumb stitches are worked in stockinette stitch.
M1R: from back to front. Knit this loop. M1L: from front to back. Knit through the back of the loop.
- Rnd 1: Rib 18sts, SM, M1R, YO, PM, pattern to end.
- Rnd 2: Rib 18sts, SM, k to next marker, SM, pattern to end.
- Rnd 3: Rib 18sts, SM, k to next marker, SM, pattern to end.
- Rnd 4: Rib 18sts, SM, M1R, k to next marker, M1L, SM, pattern to end.
- Rnd 5: Rib 18sts, SM, k to next marker, SM, pattern to end.
- Rnd 6: Rib 18sts, SM, k to next marker, SM, pattern to end.
- Rep Rnds 4, 5 & 6 until there are 14 thumb sts between markers (ending after a Pattern Rnd 5).
- Start Hand: Work 1 Arrowhead pattern repeat as follows:
- Rnd 1: Rib 18sts, SM, loosely bind off 13sts, SM, pattern to end. (Lace R1: P1, K1, K2tog, YO, K2)
- Rnd 2: Rib 18sts, RM, K2togtbl with the first BO stitch, RM, P2, pattern to end. (Lace R2: P1, K5)
- Rnds 3, 4&5 (Short Row Shaping): Rib 18sts, Pattern to end. (Lace R3: P1, K2tog, YO, K1, YO, SSK) repeat to last 6sts, w/t, Pattern to last 6sts, w/t, (Lace R4&5: P1, K5) Rib 18sts, Pattern to end.
- Work 1 rnd P1, K2 rib.
- Rnd 2, 3&4: (Short Row Shaping) Rib to last 6sts, w/t, Rib to last 6sts, w/t, Rib to end.
- Work 1 rnd P1, K2 rib.
- Bind Off. (My Semi Stretchy BO, K2togtbl, place stitch back on left needle, repeat to end)
- Thumb: The thumb is slightly less stretchy than the Arrowhead Rib. You will need to try on the wrist warmer/mitt and find the number of sts comfortable to you then work as follows:
- Slide the sts on hold to working needles and divide to work in the round. Attach yarn (leaving a long tail to sew up holes later) and knit across the 12sts. Pick up and knit 2-5sts along the hand side of the mitt. (The number depends on the size of your thumb – try it on and see what is comfortable. You may need only 2 extra sts, you may need 5, or something in between.)
- Rnds 1-5: Knit around all sts.
- Rnds 6-8: (K1, p1) across
- Loosely Bind off.
Finishing: Weave in ends. Use long tail at thumb to sew up any holes. Block as desired.