Dance, Yoga, Stirrup Toe Up Socks © Linda Butler 2017
This pattern is a boot or over the calf length sock with instructions for ankle and calf length, worked from the toe up with an afterthought heel. It is a compilation of 3 patterns I found on Ravelry (see acknowledgements at the end of the pattern).
Materials: Shown Top: Sugar’n Cream Twists worsted weight category 4 yarn, a set 5 double pointed needles sizes US6/4mm & US8/5mm. Shown Bottom: Hobby Lobby I Love This Cotton worsted weight category 4 yarn, a set 5 double pointed needles sizes US5/3.75mm & US7/4.5mm, Yarn needle.
Gauge: I knit loose, Smaller needles = 5sts/7rounds, Larger needles = 4½sts/6rounds, check your gauge and adjust your needle size.
Instructions: With smaller size double point needles crochet cast on 40 stitches.
- Foot: Work K1, P1 for 6 rounds (1”).
- Toe Shaping:
- Rounds 7 & 8: Knit to last 10sts w/t, Purl to last 10sts w/t
- Rounds 9 & 10: Knit to last 4sts w/t, Purl to last 4sts w/t
- Continue to work across all stitches in rounds to about 4” from cast on edge (adjust to your desired foot length).
- Afterthought Heel Opening: (Note: Heel stitches will be on needles 3 & 4 for one foot and needles 1 & 2 for the other foot).
- Slip first or last 20sts onto a safety pin or waste yarn, start or finish working current round.
- Work 2 rows back and forth on remaining stitches.
- Work a Provisional cast on 20sts, rejoin to work in the round.
- Leg: Knit in rounds on all 40sts to desired leg length approximate examples:-
- Ankle Length: Work 2½” followed by 6 rnds Rib, bind off loosely.
- Calf Length: Work for about 4½” from * followed by 6 rounds K1, P1 Rib, bind off loosely.
- Boot/Over the Calf Length: Work for about 4½” from *, change to size US7/4.5mm needles and continue working in rounds until you have worked about 10”-10½” from * followed by 6 rounds K1, P1 rib. bind off very loosely.
- Decorative Edge:
- First Round: *K2tog, YO twice, S1, K1, PSSO, repeat from * to end.
- Second Round: *K1, (K1, P1, K1, P1, K1) in double YO, K1; repeat from * to end.
- Third Round: Knit to end.
- Fourth Row: Bind Off Knitwise.
- Weave in ends.
- Afterthought Heel Opening:
- Slip 20sts from safety pin or waste yarn onto a needle, unravel waste yarn and place 20sts onto a needle, pick up 2sts on each side of the divide (44sts).
- Next 2 Rounds: Keeping continuity of K1, P1 rib K2tog at the beginning of needles 1 & 3 and at the end of needles 2 & 4.
- Work 4 rounds in K1, P1 rib.
- Loosely bind off all sts.
- Weave in all your ends.
Jennifer Wang’s Afterthought Heel Opening (above) as shown in her simple yoga socks (above Left) Afterthought heel tutorial available on Ravelry.
This pattern is based on a Top Down pattern on Ravelry by ©Lina-Elvira Back 2011 using DK yarn. Yogalates Socks
Boot/Over the Calf Leg Length: Is based on a Toe Up pattern on Ravelry by ©Rebecca Kerstin using Worsted Weight yarn. Double Duty Yoga Socks/Boot Toppers