©Linda Butler 2013, Inspired by Bev’s Baby Ribs Hat ©Beverly A. Qualheim 2006 – All Rights Reserved original pattern available at http://www.bevscountrycottage.com/seed-cap.html
I like to make these hats from the top down to optimize the amount of yarn needed.
The pattern is written for a folded brim which can be reduced down to 0” to use less yarn but still be a usable hat. I also find I can bind off looser than I can cast on. You can be creative with this pattern using other stitches to replace the K1, P1, rib.
|Sizes:||Preemie 5-6 lbs||Newborn 0-3 months||Infant 3-6 months|
|Height including Brim:||5”||6″||7”|
- Crown Shaping: Using size US7/4.5mm dpns. Cast On 4sts
- Rounds 1, 2 & 3: Kf&b into each stitch (8, 16, 32sts)
- Round 4: K1, P1, rib to end
- Round 5: (increase 8sts) *K1, P1 to marker, M1K, PM repeat from * 8 times (40sts)
- Round 6: (increase 8sts) *K1, P1 to marker, M1P, PM repeat from * 8 times (48sts)
- Round 7: K1, P1, rib to end
- Rounds 8 & 9: Follow instructions for size below:
- Preemie 5-6 lbs:
- Round 8: (increase 2sts) *K1, P1 over 24sts, M1K, repeat from * once (50sts)
- Round 9: (increase 2sts) *K1, P1 over 25sts, M1P, repeat from * once (52sts)
- Newborn 0-3mths:
- Round 8: (increase 4sts) *K1, P1 over 12sts, M1K, repeat from * 3 times (52sts)
- Round 9: (increase 4sts) *K1, P1 over 13sts, M1P, repeat from * 3 times (56sts)
- Infant 3-6mths:
- Round 8: (increase 6sts) *K1, P1 over 8sts, M1K, repeat from * 5 times (54sts)
- Round 9: (increase 6sts) *K1, P1 over 9sts, M1P, repeat from * 5 times (60sts)
- All Sizes: Work in K1, P1, rib until work measures 3½”, 4”, 4½” from beginning
Brim: Change to US6/4mm needles and continue in K1, P1, rib until work measures 5”, 6”, 7” from beginning. Work a stretchy bind off with larger needle. Weave in ends.
Matching Thumbless Baby Mittens
©Linda Butler 2013
Worked from the finger tips to the cuff to optimize yarn usage and create a looser bind off.
Sizes: Newborn 0-6 months: (4”wide x 2”long + 1”cuff), 6-12 months: (5” wide x 2½” long + 1½” cuff)
Yarn: a small amount of Cat 4 yarn, a set of size US7/4.5mm double-pointed needles .
Gauge: 4sts/6rnds = 1” on US7/4.5 mm needles in st. st. or the size needed to obtain the gauge.
- Both Sizes: Cast on 6sts, Kf&b into each stitch (12sts) divide between 3 dpn’s (4, 4, 4).
- Newborn 0-6 months Size:
- Round 1: Knit to end
- Round 2: Knit into the front & back of the first stitch, K4, Knit into the front & back of the next 2 stitches, K4, Knit into the front & back of the next stitch (16sts)
- 6-12 months Size: Repeat Rounds 1 & 2 once (20sts)
- Palm Both Sizes: Knit 8 (9) rounds
- Eyelet Round: (with yarn at the front K2 together) repeat to end (2” (2½”) from beginning)
- Cuff: Increase 4sts evenly K4 (5), M1 repeat to end (20, (24))sts
- Work 6 (9) rounds in K1, P1, rib (1” (1½”))
- Work a stretchy bind off with larger needle. Weave in ends. Thread ribbon through eyelets.
- [I work a decrease bind off: *P2tog, slip worked stitch back onto left needle and repeat from * to end]